Thursday, April 28, 2011

Super. Cool. Coat Hanger. Trick.

So this afternoon Observant Little Brother comes into my house and is all, 'what's with the empty space between those picture frames?'  I told him that was Reserved Parking for my groovy brass lobster, but standard picture hanging procedure just wasn't working.  And he says, 'why not just use dad's coat hanger trick?'  Um. What?
'Dad's been doing this for ever.  Didn't he teach you?'
Nope.**  So I quick got a lesson from Clever Little Brother. (Dad doesn't get credit because he didn't show me. There. That will teach him.)
Here's how it all goes down.

First you have to find just the right kind of magical coat hanger.  The best way to find these special mystical hangers is attached to your pants when your pants return from the cleaners.  Note: Not your shirts.  It's those pants hangers with the flimsy cardboard cylinder instead of a hypotenuse wire.  These ones.



You will also need to locate some wire cutters (or kitchen scissors and a bit of determination).  Detatch the paper cylinder from the rest of the hanger.



Notice that cool little hidden hook.  Next you cut the long part of the wire about six inches up.


As you may have already cleverly worked out yourself, you can get two wall hangers out of each coat hanger.  Bend it so it arcs a bit like this.


You will need to drill a hole in the wall big enough for the coat hanger to fit through.  Oh yeah, so you also need a drill.  (Or I guess you could hammer a nail into the wall and pull it out to make a hole in a pinch.)   Then you just feed the long bit through the hole and it will hold itself in the wall using magic.  I can't fit my camera inside that tiny hole so here is a dramatization using cardboard.


You then have a hook perfect for hanging brass lobsters or any such non-flush-to-the-wall objects.  Look.  Isn't he cute?



**I should note that my dad is the President of Coat Hangers.  Seriously, I collect them in the bottom of a closet so he is not bored when he visits.  He has about one thousand things he likes to do with coat hangers, 999 of which are useless.  It is possible that he did tell me and I was only pretending to listen.







No comments:

Post a Comment