Thursday, August 23, 2012

Eee Eye Eee Eye Oh

I have a lot of variations of this conversation in my life.

"Hi, I'm Darlene, nice to meet you."

"Hi Darlene, my name is Random Person, nice to meet you too.  So, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm a travel agent."

"Oh, wow, so you fly for free and get more free trips than game show contestants and you work from a cruise ship all day and sit around looking at all the pictures you took on all of your free trips?"

Um, no.

But I completely understand the tendency to glamorize the job of a travel agent.  TRAVEL is right there in the name.

I do the same thing with farmers. I want to live on a farm and feed the animals and eat fresh eggs and smell the country air and cook hearty breakfasts for the farm hands and tend the gardens in boots and ride a horse to go check on the fields and see the stars at night.

I know in my head that farming is actually hard work.  There used to be a dairy farm in my extended family in western Pennsylvania, always with milking cows but also random goats, turkeys, ducks, chickens, and horses.  I spent many days as a girl  with my cousins wandering the grounds, talking to the animals, climbing in the barns, and chasing the chickens. The rose-colored portion of my brain imagines a farmer's life as just like that.

Now I live in a condo with a tiny patio, and idealize Farm Life. Grass is greener, et cetera.

However, I've managed to grow some food on that patio, and tonight I harvested chard and thyme, two expensive ingredients in tonight's dinner that I didn't have to add to the grocery list.  Eating food from just outside my back door is extremely satisfying and extra delicious.






1 comment:

  1. I am late on this post, but just had to chime in. I do exactly the same thing with farms and farmers even though, like you, I have farmers in the extended family. I dream of some imaginary pastoral future when we'll grow all of our own food, and yet have lots of time to sit around relaxing... ha! :-) But it's fun to dream about it, and even more fun to eat what you grew yourself! I miss our little patio garden in LA... even though it was small, the climate made it so easy to grow everything. Your chard and thyme were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete