Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Food That Starts With The Letter Q

I have a super sneaky trick for using up vegetables that are becoming, er, not-so-fresh.  It's really easy but I like to pretend that it's not, kind of like the mom on those old Rice Krispie treat commercials from the 1990s.  I can be all, "oh look what I have made for you, because I love you so much and I want you to have a healthy and delicious homemade breakfast to start your days this week."  When it's actually more like, "oops, i bought too much spinach and the onions won't keep any longer and what other kind of vegetables do I have in here?"

Just spray the inside of some muffin tins with some olive oil and add the chopped vegetables along with some fresh ground pepper and whatever kind of cheese you have on hand.  If you have some sad-looking herbs left over from some earlier recipes, chop them up and toss them in too.  Beat up some eggs with a little milk, cream, half & half...whatever you have.  You just need a splash to make the eggs fluffy.  Pour the eggs into the tins, about 2/3 or 3/4 full.  Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes.  And voila!  Quiche!  The name even sounds fancy.



When they cool, wrap them up individually.  Instant healthy portable breakfast.  I like to pop them in the microwave for about 45 seconds.  But mostly I like to say, 'there's quiche in the fridge for breakfast.'  It sounds so gourmet-bed-and-breakfast-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment