Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finally. Finished. Painting.

I have been painting for the last seventy-four weeks.  Ok, actually I've been painting for the last week, but it felt like months.  Bright and early Saturday, I got started on the prep work.  In case you are wondering, here are the steps you must do before you can even open the cans of paint.  There are twelve important steps, and they must be followed in order.

1.   Remove small items from the rooms to be painted.
2.   Drink two cups of coffee.
3.   Gather your painting supplies and pile them on the floor in the middle of the room.
4.   Wipe down all walls and baseboards.
5.   Watch a rerun of Law & Order:  SVU.
6.   Pull large furniture away from the walls.
7.   Place the loveseat directly in front of the television.
8.   Go find one of the ottomans that you had previously removed and place it in front of the loveseat.
9.   Make a grilled cheese sandwich.  Use TWO pieces of cheese and some garlic salt.
10. Watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother while eating.  Prop up your feet on the ottoman.
11. Check your email.
12. Place biodegradable plastic drop cloths over large furniture and floors.

I wonder why it took me so long?

The walls used to be Behr's Pure Earth color.  It looked light and, well, earth-y in the store.  But we have been living and dining in a cave for the last 18 months.  I guess this is why the Smart People tell you to take the paint chips home and look at them in your space.  The Smart People would probably also tell you to not paint your walls brown if you only have two windows and therefore not so much natural light.  Oops.







Ok, lesson learned.  In fact, I learned my lesson so hard that it took me six months to decide on a new color.  I finally picked Martha Stewart's Spring Melt. 




It looks bluer in these pictures than it actually is on the wall.  It's kind of like a light blue/gray-green color.  I love it.  I love it so much.  And it's a good thing I do....because I never want to paint these walls again.

No comments:

Post a Comment